Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Chapter Sixteen: Spotlight on Brian Tovar
Meet Brian Tovar. He is our Lighting Designer. Brian’s award winning work has been seen in theatres across New York City and the east coast. His work has been featured at the Peter Jay Sharp Theatre, Medicine Show Theatre, Access Theatre, Gene Frankel Theatre, and American Theatre of Actors, among others. Brian’s extensive festival work includes productions in the NYC International Fringe Festival, New York Musical Theatre Festival and Midtown International Theatre Festival. Recent NYC credits include the new musicals, Factory Girls (Ars Nova, Joes Pub), Street Lights (American Theatre of Actors), Vote! (Minetta Lane), and Perez Hilton Saves The Universe (Bleecker Street Theatre and Barrow Street Theatre). Regionally, his designs have been seen at ReVision Theatre (The Full Monty, Funny Girl), and Irvington Town Hall (Swing). Upcoming projects include: Hangman School for Girls (Manhattan Theatre Source), The Who’s Tommy, The Rocky Horror Show, and the world premier of the new musical The Bikinis (ReVision). On Broadway, Brian has served as assistant to Kevin Adams on both Passing Strange and HAIR. Brian is the recipient of The 2008 Midtown International Theatre Festival Outstanding Lighting Design award for his work on The Wendy Complex. His work can be viewed at www.BrianTovarDesign.com
1. What is your favorite word? Atascosa - google it.
2. What is your least favorite word? Projections
3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Music and Color
4. What turns you off? Reality.
5. What is your favorite curse word? Fuck
6. What sound or noise do you love? Rain and Thunder
7. What sound or noise do you hate? Jackhammers at 3am.
8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? If I was a Doctor..
9. What profession would you not like to do? If I was an actor...
10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Welcome home.